Chair/organiser of international workshops & working groups:
FishFix is a newly/recently set up company by Lisa Borges. Lisa graduated in Marine Biology and Fisheries from the University of Algarve, Portugal in 1995. After completing her Master in Fisheries from the University of Porto, Portugal in 1998 she started working in IPIMAR, the Portuguese Fisheries Institute, on international groundfish surveys.
After two years she moved to the Marine Institute in Ireland. In the MI she worked on stock assessment but also managed the data from the discard observer's programme, trying to improve data quality and sampling methodologies. In Ireland she also completed a PhD analysing discards from demersal fisheries.
In 2005 she took up a position in IMARES, the Dutch Fisheries Institute, where she again worked in stock assessment and on discards from pelagic fisheries.
In the beginning of 2007 she decided to take up a considerable challenge by moving to the European Commission in Belgium, to work on conservation policy for fish stocks in Atlantic waters. She was responsible, among other things, for defining new policies on discards in European fisheries. The work included drafting legislative proposals and involved relations with interest groups, stakeholders, national administrations and European institutions.
In 2010, she decided to work as an independent creating her own consultancy company FishFix.
- 2010. Chair of the Technical Working Group to eradicate discards in the Baltic Sea fisheries (19-21 May), Brussels, Belgium.
- 2009. Participation on the FAO Expert Consultation on International Guidelines for Bycatch Management and Reduction of Discards (30 November - 3 December), Rome, Italy.
- 2009. Co-Chair of the Workshop on Data Extrapolation of the 6th International Fisheries Observer and Monitoring Conference (20 July), Portland, Maine, USA.
- 2008. Organiser of European Commission Workshop on Discards (27-28 May), Brussels, Belgium.
- 2007. Chair of the ICES Workshop on Discard Raising Procedures (6-9 February), San Sebastian, Spain
- 2006. Chair of the Discarding by EU Fleet, a meeting of the Sub-Group on Research Needs (SGRN) of the Scientific, Technical and Economic Committee for Fisheries (STECF) of the European Commission (October).
Chair/presenter at international conferences:
- 2012. Speaker at AquaVision 2012. (11-13 June). Stavanger, Norway.
- 2012. Speaker at the World Fisheries Congress. (7-11 May). Edinburgh, UK.
- 2011. Speaker at Green Week Conference. (24-27 May). Brussels, Belgium.
- 2010. Concluding Remarks and Summation of the Fishery Dependent Information Conference (August 23-26), Galway, Ireland.
- 2009. Co-Chair of the M Theme Session "Avoidance of bycatch and discards: technical measures, projects, and state of data" of the ICES Annual Science Conference (21-25 September), Berlin, Germany.
- 2009. Chair of Session 7 "How can self-reported data by the fishing industry be improved for use in assessments and management?" of the 6th International Fisheries Observer and Monitoring Conference (21-24 July), Portland, Maine, USA.
- 2007. Co-Chair of Session P6 "How are fishery monitoring data analysed and used by government, industry, academics and NGO's?" of the 5th International Fisheries Observer Conference (15-18 May), Victoria, Canada.
- 2006. Co-Chair of the K Theme Session "Discarding: quantities, causes and consequences" of the ICES Annual Science Conference (18-22 September), Maastricht, The Netherlands.
- Borges L. 2013 “The evolution of a discard policy in Europe”, Fish and Fisheries, in press.
- S. M. Garcia, J. Kolding, J. Rice, M.-J. Rochet†, S. Zhou, T. Arimoto, J. E. Beyer, L. Borges, A. Bundy, D. Dunn, E. A. Fulton, M. Hall, M. Heino, R. Law, M. Makino, A. D. Rijnsdorp, F. Simard, A. D. M. Smith. 2012. Reconsidering the Consequences of Selective Fisheries, Science, Vol. 335 no. 6072 pp. 1045-1047.
- FAO. 2010. Report of the Expert Consultation on International Guidelines for Bycatch Management and Reduction of Discards. Rome, 30 November–3 December 2009. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Report. No. 934. 28p.
- Borges, L.; van Keeken, O. A.; van Helmond, A. T. M.; Couperus, B. and Dickey-Collas, M. 2008 “What do pelagic freezer-trawlers discard?”, ICES J. Mar. Sci., 65: 1-7.
- Borges, L.; Zuur, A. F.; Rogan, E. and Officer, R. 2006. “Modelling discarding ogives from Irish demersal fisheries”, ICES J. Mar. Sci., 63: 1086-1095.
- Borges, L.; Rogan, E. and Officer, R. 2005. “Discarding by the demersal fishery in the waters around Ireland”, Fish. Res. 76:1-13.
- Borges, L. 2005. “Discarding by demersal fisheries: methodologies, quantification and modelling”, PhD Thesis, National University of Ireland, University College Cork, Cork, 159pp.
- Borges, L.; Zuur, A. F.; Rogan, E. and Officer, R. 2005. “Choosing the best sampling unit and auxiliary variable for discard estimations”, Fish. Res., 75: 29-39.
- Borges, L.; Zuur, A. F.; Rogan, E. and Officer, R. 2004. “Optimum sampling levels in discard sampling programmes”, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 61: 1918-1928.
- Clarke, M. W.; Borges, L. and Officer, R. A. 2004. “Comparisons of trawl and longline catches of deepwater elasmobranchs west and north of Ireland”. J. Northw. Atl. Fish. Sci., 35: 1-14.
- Borges, L. 2001. “A new maximum length for the snipefish Macroramphosus scolopax.”, Cybium, 25: 193-194.
- Borges, L. 2000. “Age and growth of the snipefish, Macroramphosus spp., in the Portuguese continental waters”, J. mar. biol. Ass. U.K., 80: 147-153.
- Borges, L and Cardador, F. 1999. “Experiências de calibração com o N/I Noruega entre as redes de arrasto NCT e GOV 36/47 em 1998” (Calibration experiments with the R/V Noruega between the trawl gears NCT and GOV 36/47 in 1998), Relat. Cient. Téc. Inst. Invest. Pescas Mar, 40, 21pp.
- Cardador, F; Borges, L; Duarte, R and Silva, A. 1999. “Principais resultados do cruzeiro de pesca demersal “Outono 98” na costa continental Portuguesa” (Main results of the groundfish survey “Autumn 98” in the Portuguese continental coast), Relat. Cient. Téc. Inst. Invest. Pescas Mar, 38, 11pp.
- Borges, L. 1998. “Biologia, distribuição e comportamento do apara-lápis (Macrorhamphosus spp.) na costa continental Portuguesa”, MSc Thesis in Sciences of the Sea – Marine Resources, Speciality Fisheries, University of Oporto, Oporto, 72pp.
- Borges, L. 1995. “Associações espacio-temporais entre o boto, Phocoena phocoena (Linnaeus 1758), e as suas potenciais presas de peixe”, BSc Report in Marine Biology and Fisheries, University of Algarve, Faro, 43pp.